Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday indeed

I don't do black Friday, but maybe that just's me. In my world, half of them are black anyway.

I don't relax when watching my favorite team. I bleed. Often. Win or lose. But maybe that's just me.

I don't act the way most folks do, but that has to just be me.

I am not thankful enough, loveable enough, loving enough, helpful enough and all of that lies on me.

But there is good news this Black Friday: A year ago I retired from the newspaper industry and I've made it so far. It's been the most incredible year. I've lost two pets, gone to Israel, gained a ministry, written a book that was started just about a year ago and will be published not through my own talent but through the belief by others in that talent. I've gained a son-in-law, and my wife has gained a job.

God has been so good. So I wonder why I'm so bad?

Paul said of this notion, "The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life."

Wow. No matter how bad I am, and I argue with Paul that I am the worst not him, God sent his son to die for me. It makes me feel all the better -- and all the worst.

I am the reason He died. Those nails were mine. That cross was mine. That crown of thorns was mine. Why oh why can't I get it?

God so loved the world that he allowed Jesus to be a part of it. He so loved me that he allowed me to be a part of the world. Therefore, He allowed Jesus to be a part of my world.

Sinner saved by grace. That's all I am and all I will always be. It's enough.

No comments: