Monday, November 22, 2010

HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMORROW

Mark's Gospel says of children: "He (Jesus) took a little child whom he placed among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, 37 “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”

And ... "People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

Sunday was Christ the King Sunday in the Church calendar. I invited the kiddies to the front, where I was going to talk to them about "King Backward," making the point that Jesus was a king, but he did everything just about the opposite of what earthly kings do.

I asked the kids, "What do Kings normally wear on the top of their head?" There was silence in my little circle, and, well, in the church. Seconds passed. Long, long seconds of quiet.

Then Rocky, a three-year-old, looked into my eyes and said, "hair," quietly but with purpose.

I repeated the word so the rest of the congregation could hear and everyone, including Rocky, burst into laughter. "HAIR" he said. "Kings were hair on the top of their heads. Couldn't argue that, much, though I did point out that eliminated me from kingly discussions seeing as how I had so little hair.

Jesus said in Luke's Gospel of children, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do."

If the foolish are made right by their child-like faith, then Rocky leads the way for all of us. He leads in faith, in goodness, in righteousness and in mercy.

"HAIR," kings were on top of their head.

Wouldn't argue it even if I could.

No comments: