Monday, November 8, 2010

A grand opening

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord.

Let this day be a day of prayer and supplication. Let this be the day I get it. Let this be the day I see you.

Oh, but that we could call on him and He would come to us. Oh, that the hills would ring with the sound of his coming.

Instead ...

A cigarette causes more than cancer at a Columbus, Ga., Waffle House. According to Columbus police reports, Shemkia Wingfield lit a cigarette inside the Macon Road restaurant. That's when another woman asked her to put it out. The altercation became physical when Wingfield threw her cigarette at the woman, then two other women, Beatrice Willis and Candace Bryant, jumped on the victim. The brawl continued out into the parking lot where police found the victim with minor injuries.

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord. I want to see you. I want to see him lifted high, supported by the love of my heart.

Instead ...
Instead...

This world never seems to get it. Never seems to want to get it. My tower of refuge and strength is Jesus. How others get around that is a complete mystery. All the earth should be shouting to the Lord as we speak.

Instead.

The Bible says that one day all will bow to the name of Jesus. Wouldn't it simply be easier to explore what that means today? Before things get out of hand completely. Before we go down roads we can't return from. Before the violence and the anger take its toll?

In the Message we find these thoughts in the Psalm 35:
9-10 But let me run loose and free,
celebrating God's great work,
Every bone in my body laughing, singing, "God,
there's no one like you.
You put the down-and-out on their feet
and protect the unprotected from bullies!"

Then ...

17-18 God, how long are you going
to stand there doing nothing?
Save me from their brutalities;
everything I've got is being thrown to the lions.
I will give you full credit
when everyone gathers for worship;
When the people turn out in force
I will say my Hallelujahs.

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord. Open the eyes of my heart.

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord. Open the eyes of my heart.

No comments: