Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's foggy in America

The fog rolled in this morning in a massive wave. It's warming up in the area, from the frigid nights we had this weekend, and the end result is fog. Fog thick and unmoving in the trees. Fog above the cars in the drive. There is even a dense fog advisory. Fog nestled in till morning's end and the sun burns it away.

I thought about the fog this morning.

I thought about how much it reminds me of how we see what the world has to give us, about what America is seeing today.

I have friends who insist that Republicans must be rednecks. I have friends who insist Democrats must be demonic. I have friends who don't know or care. I have friends who think there is no hope.

And the fog grows deeper in the marshes.

I only know what I see, feel, touch, taste, and what I see is a country that is listing like a ship rolling in heavy seas. I feel lost sometime trying to understand what the future for my grandkids will be. I touch new technology and celebrate, but the taste the deficit we're leaving and it is putrid in my mouth.

Where are the true leaders? Where are the heroes?

The Bible says this: "We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!"

I'm sure there are ones who might read this out of curiosity and turn it away because it's one of those "religious things." But the fact is that religion is not what I propose to solve our problems. No. I propose a leader, a method, a way, a truth, and a new life. That leader is the man named Jesus and he is the only way. Truly. Really.

When I am in with Him, in with the vine, staying close to him in prayer and in deed, I am successful in whatever I attempt. When I am not, it doesn't mean I don't succeed as the world sees it but it does mean I am never content with it.

To be content and consistent and to succeed in the best of things, this country, this world needs Jesus. He is the only answer. Really.

The Bible also says, "Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” 14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone."

It's foggy this morning in America. Here a little while, then it's gone.

No comments: