Tuesday, June 7, 2011

18 again

Today we vote on delegates to general conference. In other words, today we vote on people who will vote on issues. Today I vote for the first time after having been a pastor for 12 years.

Amazingly, I don't feel all tingly.

But still it is an historic moment. Let me explain. Local Pastors such as I are the people who didn't go to seminary, essentially the equivalent of grad school or even med school for preachers, pastors, ministers. I went to something called Course of Study, which although it means extremely well, is not the same thing as three years of school. It's not. I get that.

But once both of us get out of whatever, the job is the same...except they get to vote and we did not, till today. They wore dark green badges and we wore light green. They were made to feel more of a part of the whole and we were not. Till today.

Today we take one more step toward feeling like we're part of the whole; we feel as if we've been included in everything, though we have not been.

Though Peter, James and John did not go to seminary, they were always made to feel as if they were part of everyone else. We were not. Till today.

Now, we still can't be a part of the whole in that we can't be voted ON. But we can vote. I plan to exercise this option well, studying and such, before I vote. I plan to make the best informed decision I can. I plan to be a part, as much of a good part mind you, as I can be.

You don't get to be part of something for the first time often.

So I will vote, as if I were 18 again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you wish you still felt 18? I would not want to be 18 again but I sure wish this body felt 18. Love, June