Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Disagreeing peacefully

At what point in our lives did we reach the stage that if we disagree with someone, we are haters? Has it always been that way or has things changed over time? Don't know. But I know that if we have legitimate disagreements, we are more than persons of disagreement today, we are stupid, morbid haters.

The subject? Doesn't matter. You name it and it's applied. I read it daily on this device we call facebook. Today, for example in the local newspaper, we read this letter to the editor: I can't believe what is before our state Senate to vote upon soon: the illegal display of the fabled Ten Commandments on our Capitol grounds. ... If our leaders decide to tell the world that an "imaginary man in the sky" is more important than the U.S. Constitution, we've got major problems. What would be next, throwing virgins into volcanoes?"

Let's see if we can come to an agreement peacefully. Jesus said give to Caesar what is Caesars and to God what is God's. He didn't seem to have that much of a problem with government. Wasn't that big of a deal to him. Didn't interfere with worship as He saw it, though it should be noted he didn't see anything called separation when talking about life and religion. Walking with God the Father was foremost on his mind.

But I wonder what he would think, does think, about Ten Commandments statues and legislatures making the No. 1 agenda Gay Marriage when the country is falling apart all over financially and, well, otherwise.

God allows us to choose sin. He does. Many have great problems believing that, but he does. The problem comes when those who don't believe think they are so much more intelligent that those who do. I say again: if I have the cure for cancer in my mind and in my actions, would I not want to share it with others? Would that be wrong? Now, those who don't want to be cured have that choice to make. But why would you shout at me for wanting to help? Why would that make me stupid, morbid or a hater?

I believe the Bible says that homosexual actions is a sin, no more so than pride or lying or an enormity of things. It does not mean I hate homosexuals or prideful people or liars, being at time prideful and having lied, uh, a time or two. It means I believe what the scriptures say. It does not mean I know everything that went into the writing of those sentences or what was on Paul's mind in the early part of Romans or in 1 Timothy. I only know what it says, or at worst I know what I think it says.

We all have difficulty with getting along on an enormity of subjects. But until we stop calling names or making fun of the other side or whatever the separation device is, this nation will not progress.

That "imaginary man in the sky" is love, first and foremost. If I want to believe in him, I must attempt to be of love myself. That's the beginning. That's where we all must start.

No comments: