Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The whew of forgiveness

Remember when you were a kid and you (inevitably) did something? Remember when you were forgiven by your mother or father? Whew. How great that felt, did it not? It was like, for a few moments, you felt peace that you couldn't get any other way. Now, it didn't exactly keep you from doing it again, but it felt so good for just a few minutes.

Truth is, there are things I've done all my life that I wished I didn't do, or hadn't done. Things that keep me from being the perfect person I sometimes wished I could be but clearly am not. I know grace covers my actions, but still, I wonder how I can be better. Psalm 32 speaks to this: Blessed (happy) is he whose transgressions are forgiven, who sins are covered. Blessed (happy) is the man whose sin the Lord doesn't count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit."

There is only one way, really, to exercise that forgiveness, obtain that forgiveness.  Actively turning to God is the way toward restoration.

Psalm 85 speaks of restoration:
1 You, LORD, showed favor to your land; you restored the fortunes of Jacob. 2 You forgave the iniquity of your people and covered all their sins.3 You set aside all your wrath and turned from your fierce anger.

God forgives. It's that simple.

That's what He wants to do. That's what He wills. "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more," he tells us in Isaiah.

Can you forgive yourself? Can you get rid of those sins? Can you slow them down, make them come less often, even have them go away? God can and will help us all.

And, whew, it will fill better. Ask Him now.

No comments: