Monday, June 20, 2011

Only Him

Have you ever considered being unworthy of all your blessings?

Maybe it's just me, but I do it all the time. It's not humility blossoming in my heart. Nah. That probably isn't gonna happen. It's something more. Something different. It's simply seeing truth for what truth is. I'm unworthy.

I'm unworthy of my wife of 26 years, whose birthday was yesterday. She volunteers and works herself into a tizzy, and does so with no concern about herself. I watch and admire and am flabbergasted.

I'm unworthy of my children who without question are all better parents than I was. Their children, for the most part, are well-mannered and well-behaved and know they are loved. Is there more to it than that?

Mostly, though, I'm unworthy of God's love. I do little to help him, less to love him. But there He is, day after day after day, loving me, helping me, blessing me. He helps me at my worst and calms me at my best. He never lets me down, even when I can't see where He's leading me (which, frankly, is most of the time). He is the reason I found Mary. He is the reason I found life.

But I'm unworthy of it all.

Seems to me, though, that being unworthy is kinda the point. There was nothing I could do to become worthy of these blessings, no way I could become worthy of this life.

Only Him, friends. Only Him. That's the point.

No comments: