Friday, January 13, 2012

Found by grace

A woman whom I love to hear sing said to me last night as we discussed Sunday's sermon topic, "I've always had a trouble with grace."

I said, "who hasn't?" It's terribly difficult to understand that no matter how much we do, we cant' be good enough."

Friends, I know people who have given everything to the Lord, but are unhappy because they can't get there, still. There being the state of grace they desire. They're trying, trying, trying, and it just doesn't work.

What we need is a bit of love. Just a bit, to bring us over the edge, lift us over the high mark, bring us across the waters of chilly Jordan. That's bit is grace.

Paul wrote to some friends who were having difficulty understanding grace, "In the past you did not know God, and so you were slaves of beings who are not gods. But now that you know God -- or should I say, now that God knows you -- how is it that you want to turn back to those weak and pitiful ruling spirits." In another place, he writes, "Whoever does not always obey everything that is written in the book of the Law is under God's curse!"

In words we can grasp, why would you want to turn back to the law, turn back to effort, turn back to works, turn back to guilt, turn back to the pain of failure.

The joy of grace is found above all else in John Newton's masterpiece, of course. "amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, and now am found, was blind but now I see."

Live like that, friends, and you will find peace and redemption. Live to the law, whatever law you're living to, and you will fail and fall into guilt.

Simple, Elizabeth. Simple this thing called grace.

No comments: