Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Giving comfort for the troubled

I'm looking at things God can't do this week as part of a series and this week I'm referencing how God wants the best for you. That seems one of those no-brainers, but it's certainly not for some people.

You lose a child to cancer and there's a chance you might question that logic.
You have an automobile accident and lose a limb, there's a chance you might wonder what God's up to.

Only the strong in faith can survive the greatest of tests. But that's, frankly, what faith is for. Faith, that belief not in what we see, touch, know to be true but what we can't see, feel, believe to be true, is often what carries us through those moments.

It is clear to me that the Lord has carried me through difficult times, through unexpected deaths, through grief and difficulty physically. How? The circumstances remained the same. But my attitude changed because of my faith and those around me encouraging me. Faith doesn't end (necessarily) the problem, end the suffering, end the pain but it does walk us through it.

Jesus told us, "Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy."

Paul wrote: "But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you."

Today things might look terrible for you. It might be the bills you've built up in a recession. It might be the loss of a job because of the recession. It might be a terrible illness or a loved one's illness or whatever those difficult circumstances might be.

Whatever the case, the Bible is clear that these troubles we're having are given to us, allowed to come to us, for a reason, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."

Believe that. Have faith in that. Give comfort as you have received comfort today.

No comments: