Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Jesus of scriptures

We've just finished a Bible Study at one of our churches and a few things strike me:

1) I am still, after 14 years, stunned by how few persons want to have Bible Study or small group study together from churches. After all these years, I still get something new and different from each study we do.
2) I am still, after 14 years, convinced that most folks do not know the Bible enough to have a meaningful conversation about it because of answer one.

We took a look into the Journey, an Adam Hamilton book about the birth of our Savior, and among the many things that he says as fact (that are more legend than otherwise one might have claimed), is truths about the shepherds and the wise men and Joseph's family and so forth. But it is wise and meaningful to read this and have discussions about it because if we're going to have a relationship with someone we need to strive to know everything we can about him or her. It's no different with Jesus.

I was struck with this thought while pondering the above ones. In Acts, Saul is taking a trip to Damascus when a light form heaven encircles him. He hears a voice saying, "Saul, Saul, why are you harassing me?"

Saul answers in the only way one could, I suspect. "Who are you, Lord?"

The "light" answers, "I am Jesus, whom you are harassing."

I wonder sometimes if even "good Christians" would ask the same question if Jesus walked into the room. Would we be blinded into seeing who we think we should see or would we recognize him as he truly is? Would we have spent enough time with him in the scriptures to even begin to know what he is all about? Would we have a sense of who he truly is?

I hope the answers are good ones. I wonder sometimes.

No comments: