Monday, January 9, 2012

The praise chain

This is the Message's look at the 100th Psalm:
-2 On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.
3 Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn't make him.
We're his people, his well-tended sheep.
4 Enter with the password: "Thank you!"
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.
5 For God is sheer beauty,
all-generous in love,
loyal always and ever.

I especially love the fifth verse.... For God is sher beauty, all-generous in love, loyal always and ever.

I was driving to the first church yesterday morning at 7:15, on a cloudy, foggy Sunday, when it occurred to me that I do way to little praising. I have so much when so many have so little, and yet I fail to praise him not nearly enough.

So I thought I would.

I praise Him for the clouds, the blue skies that lurk behind those clouds and for the rain that might be on the forefront of those deep grays.

I praise Him for my children and theirs, for the laughter and the tears and the heartbreak and the joy.

I praise Him for my wife, the years spent together, for fighting through bills and coming out the other side.

I praise Him for crippling times, for sicknesses that taught and addictions that built up and for moments of terror followed by hours and days of trust.

I praise Him for my best, and in my worst. I praise Him for the happiness that only He could make and the peace that only He could extend. I praise Him for who He is and for whose I am.

I praise Him this Monday morning for my limited understanding of who He is for to have a God that I could explain fully does not interest me. I praise Him for friends and for those enemies by whom I can test my faith and test my understanding of Jesus' words.

I praise Him.

Now, I await your praises. Give me one a person, please. Let's establish a praise chain, if you will. Just comment on the post.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Praise Him for stretching me beyond my breaking points and in the process restoring me closer to who He wants me to be.