Friday, June 8, 2012

Abundant mercy

We United Methodists of Louisiana recently returned from Annual Conference, a three-plus day of Holy Conferencing and budget cutting and such. Yesterday we were tired, yesterday we were spacey. Today we get back into the world and we, we, we what?

We remember what we're about to do, what we're called to day, who we really are.

The Bible tells us, "...God's mercy is so abundant and his love for us is so great that while we were spiritually dead in our disobedience he brought us to life with Christ. It is by God's grace that you have been saved. In our union with Christ Jesus he raised us up with him to rule with him in the heavenly world. He did this to demonstrate for all time to come the extraordinary greatness of his grace in the love he showed us in Christ Jesus. For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it. God has made us what we are, and in our union with Christ Jesus he has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do."

That is the Gospel, friends. That is what and who we are called to be. We fall so very short, only to be lifted up again when God reaches down and paints us in his grace.

I fall down. He lifts me up. I fall down. He lifts me up.

He is all I ever try to be, and though I am not what He calls me to be, I am who He loves. That gives me hope in a world that is increasingly without hope.

Perhaps you saw the story yesterday or this morning about the farm dog in Ghana who spent a night protecting a newborn human? Authorities say the dog, along with its two-week-old charge, was found under a bridge in Winkongo (which is near Bolgatanga, the Upper East Regional Capital of Ghana), near the farm where he lives – with the tiny baby snuggled against him.

Now, that has nothing to do with grace as we think of it, forgiveness of sin and the lot, but you tell me that is not God's grace and I will argue with you.

"God's mercy is so abundant and his love for us is so great..."

Today let that mercy wash over you. Forget the stuff of life, the stuff that weighs on you, weighs you down. Forget the bills, the economy, the future. Concentrate on the blessings you have in your life and reach high to the heavens with a quick little prayer.

Let God hear something like this: "Father. I forget sometimes how you're there, watching over me. Let me be more of what you want of me. Let me remember others as Jesus did. Let me walk in grace and give mercy to others. Let me remember your blessings as I remember my failings. Let me love, as you have loved.

Amen.

No comments: