Thursday, June 14, 2012

What I have, I give

Loving God and man is an action, not a theory, not a supposition, not a plan. It is what it is, action.

In Mark's Gospel, we read this, "Jesus and his disciples went away to the Sea of  Galilee, and a large crowd followed him. they had come from Galilee, from Judea, from Jerusalem, from the territory of Idumea, from the territory on the east side of the Jordan, and from the region around the cities of Tyre and Sidon. All these people came to Jesus because they had heard of the things he was doing.."

Swarms of people.
Huge crowds.

Why? Because they had "heard of the things he was doing."

Doing.

Not preaching. Not showing wonderful power point projects. Not playing modern music. Doing.

The church makes a difference in a myriad of ways, but first and foremost, at least today, the main thing is the main thing. It acts.

It gives sacrificially.
It gives continuously.
It reaches out to the lost and the least and says that though it appears God has blessed us more than you, that's a facade. We're all in this together, giving to each other in ways that words will never be able to convey. We give our hearts, even when we have no food to give. We give our tears when our money is waning. We give our Savior when we have nothing else to good.

I love the story in Acts where Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon.   "Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” o the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”

We give what we have, in ways that no other body can give. The Red Cross can help those harmed by storms, but can't give Christ. Be we can do both. When Habitat for Humanity goes out, it goes with hammer and nails but with Jesus, as well.

One without the other is meaningless. With each other, what can be done is endless.

I read a Facebook notation from a hurting person this morning who spoke of her fear about what tomorrow will bring.

I can only say what I know to be true: I do not know what tomorrow will bring, but I know who does. I give what I have to her and to all who read: Jesus already is there. In the depth of storms, He's already there. In the winds of change, He's there. In the dark, the light shines. In the sweeping gusts of tomorrow, he's there. He's there. That's what I know. That's what I give.

No comments: