Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Are you sure, God?

In less than two weeks, I will step into the pulpit in a little town, sleepy or otherwise, called Eunice. I am in the terrified to glorified stage of the move, about three hours away from where we currently live.

I will preach, serve communion, baptise a baby, then after church, I will marry a young couple. If I live through that service, and the two before it, I will settle into a recliner or a bed and fall into a sleep that will rival sleeping beauty's.

Are you sure God this is where I'm supposed to be?

I praise God for the opportunity, and I ask him continually that age old question that Abram must have spurted out one dark night as he prepared to head out with wife and livestock in tow: "Are you sure?"

Are you sure? God, really? Are you really, really sure?

We say that question in the dark night of the soul. We express ourselves even in the daylight. We ask of Him about his sure-ness when the diagnosis is cancer. We inquire about His being sure when our finances are defunct, when we're laid off from the only job we've ever known, when things are going well and when they're going so poorly the tears come when our spouse isn't looking or our kids are playing and we know they will have to undergo another round of chemo in the future or even when our parents don't seem to remember us anymore.

David wrote: "I will always thank the Lord; I will never stop praising him. I will praise him for what he has done; may all who are oppressed listen and be glad!"

Are you sure, God? Are you certain, Lord? Jesus, remember me...because you are sure you're going to leave this cross and journey on.

Peter struggled and fought and doubted and trusted and all those things rolled into one big, "are you sure, Jesus?"

David wrote, "The Lord is near to those who are discouraged; he saves those who have lost all hope."

Are you sure, David? Are you certain you're right? After all, you wound up in a cave, hiding from a king who wanted you dead?

Are you sure, God? Are you absolutely, totally, without question sure this is the way you want me to go?

Today is my dear wife Mary's birthday. I can do no more than praise God for her dedication to Him, His gift of her to me. She is a blessing. And she is sure we're doing the right thing.

Me, I'm mostly, sorta, maybe, certain. Are you sure, Lord? Are you certain? Is this the path? Is this the way? Is this what I'm supposed to be going?

David wrote, "the Lord will save his people; those who go to him for protection will be spared."

I guess that means you are. Whew. That's a relief.

No comments: