Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A little change does me some good

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away; now it looks as though they're here to stay. Oh, I believe in yesterday. The Beatles I look to the hills, from where does my help come? The Bible. Yesterday in somewhat of a synchronization of my present life and my past, in two cities, but at about the same time, my two worlds were in collision. And in a way, both happened because of two words: money and change. On the stage at the Gold Dome in Shreveport during the Bishop's episcopal address, a young woman danced and sang aboout having too little money. She was illustrating our Bishop's speech about the poor state of affairs in Methodism in terms of money. Without change, the denomination will cease to exist for the most part before that young woman ceases to live. At the Rock n Bowl in New Orleans, a massive rally to "save the Times-Picayune" was being held. The New Orleans daily newspaper, for which I worked for 20 years, will cease to publish daily in the fall, according to a press release from a week or so ago. Money and change. What do we do next? Where will the future jobs come from? Where do we go from here? As they say, that's above my pay grade. I did so poorly with my own money over the years that surviving after retirement will probably mean developing a taste for dog food, though that might be too expensive, too. So, me telling others about what to do with money is a bit outlandish. However, I do know a bit about change. Here's what I know: I hate it. I wish it would go away. It must happen. That's it. That's all. When we all come to grips with the notion that we can't go on living the way we've always done it, life might not seem the same, it might not even be the same, but it will be more peaceful. The greatest change agent in the world has always been the church. Imagine being Peter and seeing food that had always been unclean suddenly declared clean. Imagine Paul and understanding that grace is all that is needed to be saved as applied by the blood of Jesus. Imagine a new religion that was based upon one man's death. Imagine. Just imagine. Then imagine what would happen if the whole world suddenly thought of the collective good instead of the individual agenda. I know, I know. You can only do with so much change at a time.

No comments: