Monday, June 4, 2012

How much YOU can you give?

what is the most you will give, the most you CAN give? I'm not writing about the most money, but the most YOU. Can you, and I, as a church, give all that we have to make sure all that they need is met? Can we? More importantly perhaps, will we? I'm blogging this morning from Shreveport, La., where the Louisiana Annual Conference began its three-day meeting last night with some intriguing ideas presented by Dr. Adam Hamilton, the senior pastor of the Church of the Resurrection in Kansas. I could run through all of my notes, but I'm working on seven-hours sleep (low for me) and I need to get going to start the second day of this. But the main thing I took from last night's session is this: For our denomination to continue we have to quit talking about church and we must do everything in our power to BECOME the church. Oh, we've paid lip-service to this. But we haven't really done it because we don't really want to change, not deep in our stagnated hearts. Not really. Until we do, well, we're going to keep talking the talk and regrefully walking the way with way fewer folks than we had just a decade ago. SO, what it the most you will give, the most YOU you can give? I think the real answer to that question will determine just how long a shelf life the United Methodist Church, heck the church in general, has.

No comments: