Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Amazing Love

The Bible says that David prayed: Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant.

Wow and, uh, wow.

What is my family, O Sovereign Lord, that you would walk with me and talk with me and direct me against all odds? I've done nothing, nothing that would enable a God, the most powerful being in the universe, to love me and grant me salvation.

As I write this thunder is rolling across my neighborhood. It has rained very heavily overnight and forecasts are for more rain. My backyard, heck, my front yard too is under water and as I type this I hear more rain pouring onto my roof.

The Lord, my God, has taken my family into bouts of love that I never knew could exist. He cares for us even when my kids do not go to church, do not worship in the manner I deem necessary. We have been blessed even when circumstances are so very dire in our family as they were three years ago.

What makes this life so exciting is that none of us know what tomorrow will bring. God knows and we know God, but all that means is we must trust Him in all things. This family is certainly beginning to. Life is so wonderful when we do trust that it is almost beyond words.

Then the words appear: Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?

The answer seems to be, I am nothing.

But the true answer is I am God's child, and that seems to explain it all.

No comments: