Monday, December 7, 2009

I always wondered

I always wondered what it must be like to be a fan of, I don't know, say the Yankees or the Red Sox.

My heart tends to lean toward underdogs in sports. My mind tells me to give up on the pain; my heart tells me to never stop believing.

Thus I've been a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the New Orleans Saints all my adult life.

Thus I've suffered and suffered.

So why now that things are miraculously happening for the Saints instead of to the Saints should we suddenly be asked to sort of feel guilt about it? Fact is, I don't. I remember the pain of Big Ben passes and losses that should never, never have happened. I remember throwing a boot at the television one Monday night as the team blew a 28-point halftime lead. I remember and remember and remember.

So why would I say, 'Oh, I'm sorry your kicker missed the first kick of his career form inside the 30, and I'm sorry you fumbled when the replay was so inconclusive and the ball was awarded to the Saints and I'm sorry your team looked like it quit in overtime?'

Why would I? We've got 43 years of this stuff happening to the Saints. It's (as someone once said, or should have) PAYBACK TIME.

This isn't exactly scriptual, but it could be in Proverbs. What goes around, comes around.

Suddenly, I know what it's like to be on the other side, the winning side. Division champion? We've done that three previous time. Home field for a playoff game? We've done that one other time. Home field for all games as the No. 1 seed? Always wondered what that would be like.

I'm about to find out.

We need to heal. We need to continue to get better.

But friends and neighbors, Who Dat indeed is the question of Drew continues to be Drew. Who knew? I always wondered.

1 comment:

chris kinkaid said...

hey billy, great read,