Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The meaning of the stone

Yesterday I played amateur geek/electrician. For hours I tried to hook up things, and by that I mean electrical things not women as they say now.

I failed.

Not only did I not simply unhook the DVR and plug it back in after we moved the television and things from a very old desk to a new hippy-dippy entertainment center (put together, of course by Mary), I then had no sound whatsoever. Then I tried to hook up Mary's new photo printer. Couldn't, though it seemed easy. (In my defense it proved to be an old cord). This comes after we bought a cheap DVD recorder to get all the Saints games I had recorded off the DRV. Never did hook that up.

We do, at this writing, still have power, though. Merry Christmas and such. The cable guy is coming today to give us sound, and we hope hook up the DVD recorder as well.

This week has been about pondering the impending birth of the Christ child. What did it mean then and what does it mean now? Those are deep questions, and maybe I should simply be doing nothing but waiting for the couple gifts under the tree. But I ponder and I muse.

And I find this:

But the Master, God, has something to say to this:
Watch closely. I'm laying a foundation in Zion, a solid granite foundation, squared and true. And this is the meaning of the stone. A TRUSTING LIFE WON'T TOPPLE.

As the flute plays on my I-tunes a Christmas gingle, I ponder what a trusting life is. Scripturally it is one that lends itself to believing the promises of God. It is one that accepts the act of surrender to the one who created us all. And it is one in which we say to the Master, God, "I don't have the answers, and I known not what is coming this next year. But you, you I know. I trust that you will guide me and allow only the best for me, and when the best for me turns ragged because of life's circumstances, you will turn it to my good anyway, simply because I love you.

That is the stone upon which my building (my life) must be built.

That's the stone which the Jews crushed when they beat the Savior. That's the stone God sent to make sure the building (his church, the body of Christ) would not fall. That's what the baby brought with him.

But instead of celebrating that fact, we wrap our dreams around packages of nothingness. The Bible says: "Doom, rebel children. God's Decree. You make plans, but not mine. You make deals, but not in my Spirit."

There's still much time to turn back to God. At least I think there is.

By the way, the Charter guy just took 2 minutes to plug a chord into the proper place. We have sound. I'm hooked up.

Jesus made sure I was.

No comments: