Thursday, December 3, 2009

What's your story?

Luke spent days upon days with his quill and ink writing a letter to Theophilus so that he would know what his friends, the apostles and especially one heard-headed little guy named Paul had done.

Luke was a doctor, and one assumes that even then health care was an issue. But Luke spent more time away from his practice, sacrificing wages and earnings, in order that someone would know the miracle of the coming of the Holy Spirit and the subsequent growth of the early church.

Maybe he was the first blogger.

In any case, the Word began and was in the beginning and the Word travelled and we have the Word to keep us from falling not just from grace but from the moment.

Singer/Songwriter Matthew West tells us this:

I remember when I was thirteen
I saw a picture on my T.V. screen
The Reverend Billy Graham and the people singing
Just As I Am And it felt like
You were talking to me
And the whole world seemed to fade away
Until I heard my mother say
"Son, are you okay? Do you wanna pray?"
And that became the hour I first believed

Next thing you know I'm high and flyin'
Next thing you know My heart is in your hands
Next thing you know There's no denyin'
Next thing you know I'm a brand new man

Well, I wish I could say
I always stayed right there
And I did until my freshman year
But the world was pulling me a long way from thirteen
And you were calling but I didn't hear
Still I knew there was something more
So, one day my knees hit the dorm room floor
I said, "If you're there, and if you really care,
Come and talk to me like I was thirteen."

Got a picture in my head today
of how heaven might look someday
I see the people there,
so I pull up a chair
And their stories, they blow me away
'Cause I can see it on every face
The evidence of grace
And as I listen it occurs to me
Everybody's got their own thirteen

So, what's your story about His glory?
You gotta find your place in the history of grace
Yeah, what's your story about His glory?
Come on and find your place


What is your story? That's all that witnessing is, really. You tell someone how Jesus has affected your life in such a wonderful, warm and glowing way, even if the circumstances of your life are the same.

Like West, I can see evidence of grace on every face. As I interview people for a book I'm writing about God's call on our lives, I see that everyone truly does have a story and everyone is in some way finding their place in the history of grace.

If you're reading this, your duty almost is to tell someone about it. Maybe they need encouragement. Maybe you need to comment about how God has encouraged you today. Maybe you need to tell your story.

No comments: