Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Deep and mysterious answers

Ever think you're wandering?

You know what wandering is, don't you? It's that feeling that you're getting up and getting going but you're not exactly getting anywhere.

So, again, I ask, ever think you're wandering?

I suspect -- strongly -- than many of us think we are. We're trying hard, but we're not getting far. I heard the other day about a man who is considering retirement. He's gotten up every day but once in 38 years to head to work at the same place, same time, same job. He's done his work well, done it hard, done it the best he can. He can retire now. It's not even a case of does he have enough money, for he realizes better than most that you never really have enough.

Nah, the question for him is what does he do with his time if he doesn't get up, have his eggs and head off to the job?

In reading the second chapter of Daniel this morning, I was led to think of this gentleman.

Daniel and his friends were facing an uncertain future because King Nebuchadnezzar had threatened every "wise" person (prophet, astrologer, enchanter, magician, in the land with death because he had a dream and no one was telling him what the dream meant.

Daniel asked for a bit more time to ask God for help, and God answered him. In the second chapter of the book named after Daniel, he prays: "Praise the name of God forever and ever, for he has all wisdom and power. He controls the course of world events; he removes kings and sets up other kings. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the scholars."

Now here's the part that settled on me..."He reveals deep and mysterious things and knows what lies hidden in darkness, though he is surrounded by light."

Isn't that comforting? Really. Isn't that comforting? I don't have a clue about where I am or where I'm going most of the time, but HE DOES. And when he wants to reveal those deep and mysterious things, on occasion, He simply does.

Daniel tapped into something wonderful. God is the one who knows these things and God is the one who waits for our inquiries and God is the one who answers when God wants to.

Our job is to ask, wait and then thank him.

Daniel completes his prayer this way: "I thank and praise you, God of my ancesters, for you have given me wisdom and strength. You have told me what we asked of you and revealed to us what the king demanded."

In other words, thanks God for saving my life.

Our prayers need be no less. God gives. God saves. God loves. God is there.

I thank him today for that same wisdom and strength. I don't have to wander or wonder today. I have but to cling to that powerful, life-giving vine and wait for answers. Keep moving, but keep asking. That's God's formula.

No comments: