Friday, June 11, 2010

Follow the leader

Have you ever given some thought as to what leadership is? How difficut is it to lead people who sometimes do not want to be led?

I can't imagine, really imagine how difficult it is to be president, for example. I can't imagine how difficult it is to lead people to where you believe they should be.

There's a leader in the Bible who impresses me for those reasons. Nehemiah was someone like you and me, a cupbearer to the king. Granted he had access to a leader, a king, that you and I might not have. But he was blue collar at best.

He heard terrible news one day. The walls of his city, Jerusalem, had broken down and its gates had been burned. For a Jew in exile in Babylon, this was excruciating news.

Nehemiah, the Bible says, fasted and mourned and prayed for days. He was not moved a little. He was crushed.

Then the Holy Spirit makes an early appearance.

Nehemiah prays: O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my fathers, have committed against you."

Nehemiah confe3ssed, asked for forgiveness then called on God to "gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name."

This is a cupbearer reminding God of his promises.

The most amazing thing happens. God allows it. The cupbearer is allowed to go back to Jerusalem and rebuild the walls of the city.

This notion that we are born to privilege and leadership is nonsense. With God as our backer, we are capable of leadership that will build walls and hearts. Maybe we will never be president, but maybe our calling is simply to make a difference in one heart at a time in our own neighborhood.

Nehemiah mourne3d, fasted and prayed, studied scripture, listened to the still small voice of God's spirit in his heart and then he acted on it. That's a leader I will follow.

No comments: