Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fruit bearing

I was leaving the church Sunday and a dear, dear old friend of mine said, "It's good to have you back. You're always gone somewhere, to prison, to a retreat, somewhere."

I saw her yesterday morning for the Ash Wednesday services and told her I might be gone alot, but I would always be there for her where ever I would be.

But that sentence has stayed with me. At first I felt bad about it. Then after thinking more, I felt extremely good for I've been pondering this notion of "having fruit" quite a bit.

The Bible says of it, "9 We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,[a] 10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience ..."

We should be fruit-producers. We should produce fruit. If we haven't done anything for God this week, we've probably not done much about fruit producing and if we have not, then we're not doing the will of God.

So, I continually look to see where my fruit is. There have been times I've been fruitless. There have been times the fruit was so ripe it needed to be picked immediately.

But through it all, I've tried, tried mind you, to produce good fruit in the good work. The key, I've finally figured out, is doing good work in God's time with God's help. Otherwise you're just digging in the ground.

Where's your fruit, readers?

1 comment:

Meme Gay said...

I miss these musings ! Just recently I found one (on paper) from Jan.1,2006