Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The unplanted seed

In Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen (I'm not making that up), deep inside an Arctic mountain where only lowly lichens thrive, the seeds of wheat, cabbage and 4,000 other plants lie frozen and dormant, on call for catastrophe. If nuclear war devastates and mutates plant life on the Earth's surface, the underground Nordic Gene Bank could help replenish the world with the undamaged germ plasm of crucial food crops.

They've hidden seeds against the worst of all worst.

Seeds are an important part of living, I guess then. They were an important part of teaching to Jesus, too.

(Jesus) told another parable to them: "The Kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that someone took and planted in his field." -- Matthew 13:31

I've acquired seeds over the years. A bag of them, in fact. I keep the seeds sheltered. Out of the sun, you know. Out of the heat. I keep them not because I suspect there will be war or economic Armageddon or such. I keep them because I'm afraid to plant them, for if I plant them, my goodness they could grow. And if they grow, what would be the outcome?

I have love seeds. I'm afraid to give all I have to a Lord who gave all He had because, well, then there would be no me.
I have worship seeds. I'm equally afraid to plant worship seeds because if I worshiped as I would like, then congregations could turn out to not like me.
I have leadership seeds. Same as worship.
I have forgiveness seeds. If I planted forgiveness seeds, and they grew to the point where I forgave all those folks who aren't like me, or who don't call me, or who don't do what I would have them do, then what? The next thing you know I would be loving, and then what?
I even have a bag of those hard to find trust seeds. If I took them out and scattered them into the wind, oh, what would we have at my churches? Or if the wind took them and both sides of the aisle in Congress would take hold of them or even that dreaded building of White in Washington. Trust is such a divisive element, I keep those seeds hidden even from myself, which is a hard bag to do.
I have healing seeds, I have warmth seeds, I have compassion seeds, I have service seeds, I have children seeds, I have education seeds, I have Bible seeds, I have even, even the hard-coated soft heart seeds.

All unplanted for I fear the worst....growth, revitalization, resurrection.

Bags and bags upon bags sit in my shed, in my garage, in my washroom, in my stealthy spots in my life, waiting for sunshine, rain and most importantly the day I will plant them and watch the most important seeds of all grow: the seed of faith.

No comments: