Friday, February 3, 2012

No you don't

The life-long journey with the word no has taken me to many places both good and bad. Now, for example, I even live in NO (New Orleans). I've often lived in a world of no, though.

No isn't a popular word, I would imagine, for most folks. For me, well, it is a word that I've always had difficulty with. Saying it. Meaning it. I had trouble saying no to the kids. I had trouble saying no to things that could harm me. I had trouble saying no PERIOD.

Others are no different. I just read the report this morning of Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton who apparently has relapsed in his battle with alcohol. See, the biggest problem addicts have when you get right down to it is the inability to say no. I pray for him this morning.

This notion of no began early. In Genesis we read, "16 And the LORD God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”  Not is just another form of no, you know.

It is with great irony, then, now that I'm in the business of making disciples, and believe me despite my best prayer efforts to the contrary it still is a business, I have trouble with others saying no. To me. My flesh cries out in pain when I keep asking and others keep saying, NO.

Ask them to church. No.
Ask them to volunteer. No.
Ask them to join. No.
Ask them to prison ministry, to habit for humanity, etc. It's 24-hours of no.

Like Jonah, like David, like Joshua, like Moses, like so many, many others who said no at least initially when called by God, many if not most folks say no today. Church attendance is going straight downward because of one little word. No.

This week I've had four persons move membership from out church. Though I did not know three of them, it still stung. It is no, no, no and no. I know it is no-t about me, but still, no is like a flashfire coming quick and leaving a blackened area a while.

How does one overcome the nos of the world? Literally of the world. How can one become so dispossessed beging told no doesn't hurt, sting, bruise?

I assume one must begin to understand just how many nos Jesus had to face. Over and over and over Jesus had to have heard or felt or seen the crowds say no. He fed 5,000 plus. Five or so were there to watch him bleed out on the cross. What that must have felt like. The crowd said no. No I won't come. No I won't stand. No I won't love.

I believe that we can learn from Jesus that it how we react to the people saying no to us that will help determine how we live.

No tomorrow. No hope. No return. No, no, no. No doubt. No nonsense. No threat. No, no, no. No shoes radio. No looking back. No shirt, no shoes, no service. No chance, no way, no how, Dr. No.

It is just plain easier, now, to say no. No, I won't help. No, I won't go. No, I'm too busy. No. No. No.

That's why it still amazes me after all these years that when Mary was called to bear the baby that we would learn was named Jesus, she said yes. Every fiber of my being says that no would have been a perfectly reasonable response to unwed motherhood at a young age when that sort of thing would get you stoned.

So, if the most important question ever asked of a human was answered in the affirmative, how can I say anything but .... yes.

No comments: