Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That's enough; it has to be

Do you ever wonder what a person who has given all of himself or herself to the God who loves us so much?

Perhaps you know someone like that. I suspect a know a few persons. But I know for sure one whose writing I would be best served trying to emulate.

He wrote this: I meet the predawn light and cry for help. I wait for your promise. My eyes encounter each hour of the night as I think about your word. Listen to my voice, according to your faithful love.

This is a man who sold out for God. He waits on Him. He talk s to Him. He looks for Him. He is nothing without Him.

Wonder where that devotion comes from? Is there something inside us that makes us long for Him?

Let's go at this from another angle.

There's a story in Mark's gospel we can examine..."A large crowd followed and pressed around him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering."

Do you think this woman, from this moment forward, didn't sell out for God. She waited on Him. She talked to Him. She looked for Him. She was nothing without Him.

I went to the doctor yesterday without expectation of diagnosis. I've had issues, not for 12 years, no bleeding certainly, but issues for months. Good news was I don't have cancer, according to the doc. Bad news is, well, he doesn't know what it is, which only clarifies my position on most doctors. But he's treating, uh, something. He made sure I knew it wasn't life threatening. I hadn't really thought it was and I didn't spend all that money on doctor school.

The point is, and there is one, I was prepared to thank God for whatever He said or did. I have had a blessed, happy life. I'm more than content with what He has given me, and that's not always been the case.

Do I lay awake at night pondering his precepts as David, the writer above, did? Nah. Must admit I don't. But when awake, He's never far from my thoughts.

If my issue never clears up, if my back never stops hurting, if the ministry goes in the can, if I lose my ability to type, write, think (uh, let's talk about that last phrase, Lord), I still am more than blessed.

We call that grace, those of us who truly love Him. Not for what He did, or even what He does, but for who He is.

That's enough. It must be.


 

No comments: