Friday, August 31, 2012

Despite it all, two people died

Still recovering from watching a few minutes of Clint Eastwood's, uh, speech, thing, talk.

Anyway, today is a day of recovery for me. Recovery from the storm that didn't but did. It still lingers, as rain falls outside my office window. While we were spared even a five-minute period of being without electricity, others were devastated with waters that came from who knows where. Hundreds of thousands still are without electricity, and I write for you on a laptop that has never gone a minute without power.

In those times, we pray. Don't we? Isn't that about all we can do? I sit here by myself with little to do and less help that I'm giving. I think the moment that it hit me the hardest was reading on my I-pad this morning about the couple found in Braithwaite.

How can that still be? The bodies of a man and a woman were found inside their home, their flooded home. How can in this day and age, with all the coverage of the storm that we have and all the modern weapons we have to fight it, how can two people die in a rage of water?

I kept hearing over and over, "well, it's just a Cat-1 storm," and my thinking now is that labeling these things just doesn't help, it hurts. People need to get the heck out of dodge when these things come, and we simply don't.

I have little words of wisdom today, because there isn't much to say when this happens. I feel so much sorrow for these two unnamed individuals, and their families. They drowned while I sat with my pets and my wife and watched television.

I can't get around that fact this morning. But there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing. So, I write.

No comments: