Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Un-hostile takeovers

My knowledge of hostile takeovers comes down to my intense research -- I watched Pretty Woman a time or two or three years ago.

Heck, I can't even find it on Dictionary.com because apparently it isn't a word, word combo or whatever. Long minutes later, wondering if this was such a good idea or not, I found this: When one company wishes to purchase another, they make an offer to the target companies board of directors, who can then accept, or reject the offer. A hostile takeover happens when a buyer passes over the board of directors and purchases the company without their consent.

There you go. Always trying to be informative.

Though some would argue against my thesis, one hostile takeover that never happens is God doesn't make us believe anything. Anything at all. Not in his Son. Not through his Spirit. He allows us to believe, to have faith, to be blessed with salvation.

That's why the notions of heaving signs onto our shoulders and marching out to proclaim God hating anyone is such a terrible thing, and not just because God doesn't hate but because God doesn't make anyone believe a certain way. Just doesn't. Oh, He will judge. He will proclaim. He will separate the goats and the sheep. He will allow us to one place or another eternally. But He doesn't force us anywhere.

Gander this:

Galatians 5:16 -- "What I say is this: let the Spirit direct your lives, and you will not satisfy the desires of the human nature."

"But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control." Galatians 5: 22

To me, that's the same as saying, "You're a mess, but you've got a chance if allow the Holy Spirit to take over." But look what it says. It says the Spirit will direct, the Spirit will produce. YOU don't do anything but ALLOW the Spirit in. Period.

If salvation were up to me and my habits and my methods and even my beliefs, ugh. What a terrible road I would travel. Just when I'm sure I'm doing it all right and all things will be good till the end of time as we all know it, bump, burp, heavens to Betsy I've fallen again.

But when I get out of the way, when I allow the peaceful, wonderful takeover, makeover, do-over, what do I get in return....peace, joy, patience, .... you get the picture.

Or do you?

No comments: