Friday, August 17, 2012

What would He say

It's Friday. It's been a long week. It's been a long day. Heck, it's been a long summer, and my wife, Mary, and I have not taken a real break. That was a mistake.

I'm freaking about the paperwork we got late yesterday for what United Methodists call Charge Conference, a bunch of work that I truly love (that's for any UMC hierarchy that happens to be reading this).

I'm tired. I just discovered the curriculum I ordered for our Youth this Fall on Sundays really won't work, and I detest sending anything back.

I'm looking over at a small stuffed clown that a dear friend gave me to remind me to laugh when it got tough, but laughter isn't coming, only indigestion. I've got doctor appointments and clergy appointments all over Acadiana next week and I'm already worried about losing the time.

And ...

I saw a video yesterday that featured Johnny Cash's sister talking about a conversation she and he had a few years back.

Here's the premise: You're walking along the shores of the Sea of Galilee, and Jesus comes walking toward you. What one sentence would He say to you?

Whew. I can't get it out of my mind. What would He say? I'm not a psychologist, but I reckon that your answer will say a lot about how you see yourself, how you see your walk, how you see your life.

Cash's answer was Matthew 11: 28 -- "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

I see that, and I raise you the 30th verse: For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I know down at my core that there is only so much I can do, but I get this feeling I'm running as fast as I can and I'm the Wily Coyote and the world is the Road Runner. I'm never going to catch up. Never.

Jamie Grace's latest single, "Come to me" is based on that notion.
I  had a dream I was standin' on the shore
Two feet planted in the sand
Soakin' up Your glory yeah
Saw You walkin' from a distance
Without a hint of resistance
Had Your arms open
And a warmth in your eyes
You took my hand and You whispered

Come to me when
You're weary and
I'll give you hope when you're hurting
I'll give you rest from your burden


It's a rich, rich idea. It's what I hope He would say, but I also long for "Well done, my good and faithful servant," but my weary mind says would be something like "Was that the best  you could do?"


1 comment:

Bill Sutley said...

I'll see your Matthew 11:30 and raise you Psalm 46:10 ... "Be still and know that I am God ..."

Then, once you've gotten still, think about all that you're thankful for ... and that, as long as you're giving God your best, he'll handle the rest. All you can do is the next right thing you think God wants you to do.

Call ... -b