Friday, August 10, 2012

The glory must go up

Let's talk today about athletics (imagine that) and God.

The Apostle Paul wrote as if he knew a great deal about the Games of his time. He wrote, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." And he wrote, "I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain." And he wrote, "have fought the good fight, I have finished the  race, I have kept the faith."

These Olympic Games, which finish Sunday, have provoked much writing as any reporter with multiple events and many days on location will strive to do.

One topic which has prompted some discussion is the one of athletes thanking the Lord for their accomplishment, win or lose.

Gabby Douglas won a gold medal in the women’s gymnastics individual all-around, making her the first black woman in Olympic history to achieve this accomplishment.

The buoyant 16-year-old Christian from Virginia Beach thanked God in a live interview following her triumph: “I give all the glory to God. It’s kind of a win-win situation. The glory goes up to him and the blessings fall down on me.”

On Tuesday, another world-famous Christian athlete stared down the possible win of her life. Lolo Jones, the 29-year-old runner who grew up in poverty in Baton Rouge,frequently speaks of her faith in Christ, tweeting as she arrived in London, “I'm overwhelmed with emotions. Thank you Lord for another chance and for holding me as i waited.” As she stood on the line for the 100-meter hurdles, fans could see her mouthing, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

After hundreds and hundreds of hours preparing for this day, Jones saw a dream shatter in .10 seconds. She finished fourth, out of the medals. Afterwards, she tweeted, “In room Singing Desert song by Hillsong. Its on repeat. Lord Jesus please comfort me , guide me & heal my broken heart,” and this morning nearly broke down in a live interview with the Today show.

For Jones’s part, she says she has never “prayed to win a gold medal at Olympics and never will. The Lord is my Shepard [sic] and I shall not want. May His will be done.”

One winner thanking God. One loser (if one can be who made an Olympic team) thanking God.

A better example of what this is all about could not be had.

I think we all could learn something from Jones—to trust God in the depths of Olympic despair as much as in the heights of Olympic glory. We won't always win. That's just the way I've seen life to be. But we can all be thankful.

I'm not sure at all that God watches us to see a wonderful all-around performance in gymnastics or a 100-meter hurdles event. Does God care who scores the winning touchdown or the winning run at the plate? I doubt seriously that he does.

But I know, absolutely know in my heart, that He cares for each of us in His way and His will.

Stephen Curtis Chapman, a wonderful singer-songwriter, wrote of doing everything you do for the glory of the Lord in a song called appropriately enough, "Everything you do."

..."it all matters just as long
As you do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you,
Cause he made you,
To do
Every little thing that you do
To bring a smile to His face
Tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do"

I will obviously never win an Olympic gold medal, but what I can do is concentrate on everything I do, such as this piddling little 5-day a week blog, to the absolutely glory of God. When it works, it's Him. When it doesn't, it's me, but even then must thank Him that He's provided this avenue for me to continue to write. I would not have that without the grace, glory and inspiration he gave to those who worked on the providing this aspect of the Internet.

I'm not Gabby and I'm not Lolo, but I thank Him and praise Him. The glory goes up.

No comments: